Help With A Federal Agency
If you can't get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, my office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you receive a fair and deserved response to your problem.
Please note: The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case.
We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request.
Please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondence—such as:
- Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security;
- VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;
- Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.;
- Your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;
- Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved;
Please Note: If your request is in regards to a problem with the Internal Revenue Service, please also print and fill out this form.
In order to better serve you, please fill out the form below, sign and mail to my office:
U.S. Senator Shelley Moore Capito
500 Virginia Street East
Charleston, WV 25301