VIDEO: Capito Encourages Support for Comprehensive, Bipartisan Highway Bill
Highlights provisions to rebuild roads, improve infrastructure, encourage development
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.), chairman of the Environment and Public Works Committee’s (EPW) Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittee, today spoke on the Senate floor in support of America’s Transportation Infrastructure Act of 2019, her bipartisan legislation to rebuild and support America’s surface transportation system. The comprehensive bill—which the committee approved unanimously today—would help improve road safety, streamline project delivery, protect the environment, and grow the economy.
“Investment in our country’s infrastructure is vital to the many aspects of our American life. From keeping us competitive in the global economy and keeping our drivers safe … to reducing irritating congestion and minimizing impacts to the economy, America’s Transportation Infrastructure Act delivers on all these fronts and ensures that rural America will benefit equally from these investments,” Senator Capito said. “Not only will our legislation help rebuild and repair our infrastructure system, but it will also help create new infrastructure opportunities for generations to come.”
- Authorizes $287 billion in highway spending and is the most substantial highway legislation in history.
- Authorizes $259 billion to be distributed to states by formula.
- Codifies key tenets of the “One Federal Decision” policy to streamline project delivery and federal approvals.
- Establishes a program to support projects that will improve the resiliency of roads and bridges to natural disasters and extreme weather events.
- Authorizes a mix of formula-based and grant-based programs to begin to reduce transportation-related emissions.
It also includes a number of provisions Senator Capito authored or led and secured in the broader legislation. More information on each of those provisions is available here.
Read the text of America’s Transportation Infrastructure Act here.
A summary of the legislation is available here.
A section-by-section of the legislation is available here.
View Senator Capito's full remarks here.
# # #
Next Article Previous Article